The volume of Marine Big Data has increased dramatically in latest years, as new marine observation systems become operational, multiple observing techniques are being deviced while Internet of Things and Social Networks offer vast, unexplored data sources with interest to marine scientists.
We may say that although many marine and maritime users could benefit from this data, only very few have the capacity to access these data files, retrieve the measured and/or forecasted parameters and make operational use by transforming them into meaningful information useful for their work and decision-making. We just entered the International Decade of Ocean Sciences and we strive to build a digital twin of the ocean. Leveraging existing resources and systems is pivotal to reach our goals and solve the challenges.
The ODYSSEA Project
ODYSSEA is an Horizon 2020 funded project, aiming to change this reality, bridging the gap between the operational oceanographic capacities and the need for information on marine conditions from the community of end-users, along both shores of the Mediterranean Sea. The project is organized around four pillars:
- The Marinomica Platform, a novel, easy-to-use platform in which data from a wide range of existing platforms, networks and facilities will be collected, integrated, aggregated, exposed, and delivered to the final user;
- The development and testing of new novel sensors integrated into already existing monitoring systems;
- The ODYSSEA Operational Modeling suite, utilizing tools and interfaces for models’ coupling, data management, assimilation and data exchange with the central platform;
- The well-defined services and products offered to a multitude of end-users.
Webinar 30 August 2021
In this webinar you will learn about the following (Focusing on the Mediterranean Sea): The development of a unique, user-oriented system involving the integration of real-time and near real-time measurements collected from satellites and in-situ sensors, the utilization of model results, the transfer, analysis, processing of data to provide sustained marine measurements, analyses, predictions and assessments to marine and maritime users.
This webinar aims to reach Earth observation system scientists, data management and analysis experts with an interest in marine and maritime.
Online – Monday 30 August 2021 – 14:00 CET
- Overview of the ODYSSEA Project, Prof Georgios SYLAIOS, Democritus University of Thrace
- Introduction to Marinomica Platform, Simon Keeble, Blue Lobster IT
- ODYSSEA Services and Products, Lőrinc Mészáros, Deltares
- From ODYSSEA and NextGEOSS to ILIAD, Arne-Jørgen Berre, Sintef