This week, the European Union Agency for the Space Programme EUSPA introduced its new open #EUSpace4Ukraine platform. This new platform aims to match innovators with NGOs and other helpers, to provide technological solutions for humanitarian support for the Ukrainian people. The platform, its capabilities and future activities were discussed during the webinar EU Space for Ukraine Humanitarian Help, that took place on April 12, Cosmonautics Day.
What is EUSpace4Ukraine?
EUSpace4Ukraine is an initiative that unites helpers and innovators in supporting the Ukrainian people in their efforts to survive the Russian invasion.
The initiative consists of:
- An online platform, providing information about the initiative and contacts in case you want to contribute to this initiative.
- An open call for interest for technological solutions, as well as NGOs/supporters.
- A matchmaking platform for NGOs/helpers and innovators and app developers working on EU-Space based projects.
- Information about the #EUSpace4Ukraine Hackathon to develop new solutions.
- The user Consultation Platform 2022: Humanitarian aid session.
Some Applications are already listed on the online platform, under categories like Safety and Rescue, and Applications to help understanding and inventorying damages in Ukraine, etc.
I am an NGO/helper. How can I participate?
The webinar explained how NGO and helpers can participate in the #EUSpace4Ukraine initiative:
- Use one of the apps listed on the platform: You can get in contact with the developer directly or express your interest to EUSPA, who can facilitate contact (email firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Take part in matchmaking with innovators who have or can make solutions for your needs. There are two options to do this: Firstly you can contact EUSPA directly, or secondly during a dedicated matchmaking event on 17 May 2022. For more info, check the #EUSpace4Ukraine website or the events page on our website.
- Participate in the online Hackathon. NGOs/helpers can participate in this hackathon in different ways, either by proposing a specific challenge for the developers, based on your needs, being on the jury, or being an NGO launch customer for new apps.
I am an innovator/app developer. How can I participate?
If you want to support Ukrainian people with technical solutions, there are the following options to contribute:
- List your app on the platform. To be listed, send a description, picture and website/link to email address email@example.com
- Take part in the matchmaking event with innovators who have or can make a solution for your needs. Just express your interest to EUSPA as explained above, or join the matchmaking event on 17 May 2022. For more information about the upcoming event, see the #EUSpace4Ukraine website or the events page on our website.
- Participate in the online hackathon. Just sign up once the registration is open!
The goal of the #EUSpace4Ukraine hackathon is to mobilise the EU Space community to develop solutions for NGOs/helpers to enhance humanitarian support for Ukraine.
Who can participate? Innovators/app developers, companies, students or anyone interested to develop an idea and matchmake with NGOs/helpers is welcome to join! The more, the merrier!
Registration for the hackathon will open in May 2022. The hackathon will be held from 29 June to 1 July 2022. To not miss the registration deadline check out the #EUSpace4Ukraine online platform or keep an eye out for the events page on our website.
Stand with Ukraine
At Groundstation.space we are closely monitoring the war in Ukraine, and inform our audiences about satellite data technology applications in support of the people of Ukraine. Visit our special page on space data for Ukraine to read our latest news and insights about this topic.
This article was prepared using information from the presentation shown during the webinar “EU Space for Ukraine Humanitarian Help”.
Featured image credit: rawpixel.com