Registration is now open for our event on Destination Earth (DestineE) at the 2022 United Nations Climate Change Conference (COP27).
The European Commission’s Directorate General for Communications Networks, Content and Technology (DG CONNECT) is hosting an event at COP27 on its flagship initiative, Destination Earth.
DG CONNECT will present DestinE to an online audience during a virtual event at the UN’s Climate Change Conference on Thursday 10 November at 11am (GMT+2).
The session will feature speakers from organisations contributing to the initiative, including:
- Tobias Wiesenthal, from DG CONNECT
- Elisabeth Hamdouch, from the Directorate General for Defence, Industry and Space (DG DEFIS)
- Irina Sandu, Science Lead for DestinE at the European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts (ECMWF)
- Nick Hanowski, Head of the Mission Management and Ground Segment Department from the European Space Agency (ESA)
- Lothar Wolf, Programme Manager for DestinE at the European Organisation for the Exploitation of Meteorological Satellites (EUMETSAT)
Destination Earth is crucial to help us anticipate both natural disasters and human environmental damage and their future implications for Europe and the world. It aims to produce a highly accurate digital model – or digital twin – of the Earth to monitor and predict environmental change and its effects on human life.
EU Green Deal
In doing so, it will contribute to our efforts to achieve UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the objectives of the EU Green Deal.
This session will give participants an insight into how Europe’s new digital, data, and high-performance computing infrastructure will power the digital twins of Destination Earth, and how we can use it to accelerate the green and digital transitions.