The European Defence Industrial Development Programme (EDIDP) is looking for solutions to enhance the EU’s maritime awareness: “multifunctional capabilities, including space based surveillance and tracking (discover, locate, identify, classify and counteract the threats). Deadline: 1 December 2020. Complete call text can be found on the EU portal.
The EU has an increasing need of geospatial information for its decision-making processes. In this field, the use of advanced satellite-based observation assets leads to a significant increase of the operational performance of current systems.
However, the development, launch and operation of a satellite for observation purposes require a large investment and a long development timeline. In this context, platforms based on small satellites (less than 100 kg) and the use of high-performance optical observation equipment could be a suitable approach providing they can meet the right resolution, (re)visiting time and operational requirements.
The proposals must address the development of a small satellite mission for maritime surveillance, including all mission segments (i.e. flight, ground, launch and user segments). The proposals must in particular address the technology issues relating to:
- mission design guidelines. Outline the main input parameters and variables to define the suitable mission for the maritime surveillance requirements;
- system engineering and integration procedures for the different components of the satellite depending on the designed mission. Special attention should be given to the communication electronics, as well as the optical payload processing unit;
- ground segment and operation requirements depending on final user surveillance needs. For example, number of images per target, revisiting frequency, etc.;
- image processing aspects depending on the mission, assigned orbit and specific surveillance requirements;
- satellite agility to enable the continuous acquisition of target locations, namely maritime borders or coastlines.
Download Call Factsheet
We summarised the call information into a simple pdf for you, with all the key information. You can download it here.
Groundstation.space supports and develops innovation projects in the space domain and can support you in identifying opportunities, searching for partners as well as proposal and project management. Please contact Linda van Duivenbode for more information.