The universities of Leiden, Delft and Rotterdam (Erasmus), in collaboration with the NL Space Campus are organising the first Space Summer School in the Netherlands, from 26 June to 1 July 2022!
During the week you will meet and learn about the various space programs, developments and research activities at the Leiden Delft and Erasmus universities and go on a tour of space agencies, institutes and industry in South-Holland, including (among others): ESA ESTEC, SRON, TNO, AirbusDS, SBIC, Galileo Reference Centre and off course the three universities tehmselves. Starting at the NL Space Campus in Noordwijk at ESA-ESTEC, the technical heart of ESA, you will tour the cities of Leiden and Delft before returning to Noordwijk. During the week, you will meet many experts, learn about the basics and recent developments. This way you can work on your team’s challenge fully prepared.
The week also includes several fun and non-space events. You will get to know the other participants as well as learn about each other’s strengths, knowledge and approaches to problem solving. This is important because you will need to combine your strengths to work in interdisciplinary teams to solve space sector challenges that require insight and knowledge from different backgrounds. You will therefore grow many (soft)skills such as collaboration, communication and creative thinking.
To stimulate team building, socialising and networking, we have included teambuilding, workshops and collaborative activities. These are combined with project team building, networking drinks, a project presentation and an open barbecue with many networking possibilities at the end of the week.
WHY APPLY FOR THE LDE NL SPACE CAMPUS SUMMER SCHOOL?
- Connect with and meet like-minded students from different universities and the space sector
- Experience working in an interdisciplinary team to solve challenges that the space market is currently facing
- Learn about the activities, developments and challenges in the Dutch Space sector
- Broaden your network with experts from renowned companies in the space sector
- Build your CV with working in teams and on challenge proposals
- Find out how and where you can work in the Dutch space sector
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO DO TO GET ADMITTED?
- Applications are open for 2nd, 3rd and 4th-year bachelor students and master students of any course that are registered at a Dutch University (of Applied Sciences)
- Apply before April 24 and dedicate your time fully during the 6 days of Summerschool
- Motivate your application and indicate which of the project topics have your interest the most
- Get selected for the summer school
- Pay a fee, which includes lunch, dinner, activities and closing party (see application process below)
- Most importantly: have fun, connect and get inspired!
A key element of the Summer School is the project that you will be working on. You will be placed into a project team of 6 students with the different backgrounds (Science, Law, Engineering and Business) that you will need to find a solution to your challenge. Your team will work on the challenge during the entire week starting on day 1 with a team building exercise.
Then, during the week, you will be provided with relevant information to work on your team’s challenge with the presentations and visits of the different locations. Your team will receive some information and guidance to start your project, but it will be up to your team to find solutions and know when to ask for the relevant information from the experts during the visits.
At the end of the week, you will present your work to your peers and experts to demonstrate you understood the challenge and what solutions and innovations your team has identified to answer the challenge. When subscribing you will be asked to provide your first, second and third choice preferences. Check out the challenges with more details below to make your decision!