ESA is running the SOLARIS programme to study the feasibility of Space-Based Solar Power. While the technology has been proven, there are other questions that need to be answered. What is the environmental impact? What regulations apply? Can and should this be commercially operated? Will it reduce the environmental impact compared to regular solar power on Earth?
In this Curiosity Series edition, we will discuss and explore the various aspects of Space-Based Solar Power and determine what would need to be investigated further.
Part 1 of the workshop will consist of:
- A presentation of the ESA Solaris project.
- Status of the technology to beam energy to Earth and collect it
- What questions remain to be answered?
- Round the table discussion with:
- Introduction of the participants
- Identification of unknowns and questions
In part 2 of the session in the second round of the workshop, the discussion will be picked up based on the unknowns and questions that we identified.
Session Lead: Michael Mallon & Alex Bush from ESA
Interesting for: space engineers, solar power experts, environmental experts, space law, space business, energy sector