EUSPA #myEUspace Competition
EUSPA launches #myEUspace competition, more space for EU innovation and entrepreneurs.
The European Union Agency for the Space Programme (EUSPA) launches myEUspace competition. The EU prize contest targets innovators and entrepreneurs ready to explore, develop and commercialise innovative solutions that leverage EU Space data and services, going beyond the current space-applications horizon, and fusing and testing new technologies in location-based services, smart mobility, smart agriculture, geomatics, and for the first-time, quantum technologies.
Building on the success of the previous competitions and with an amplified scope of activities, the European Union Agency for the Space Programme (EUSPA) announces today the launch of myEUspace competition. The increased availability of space-based data and services and the evolution of mobile and computing technologies are pushing the bar of innovation higher allowing for the development of more ambitious applications that rely on Galileo’s accurate positioning paired with Earth observation data generated by Copernicus, while exploring new opportunities from Quantum technologies.
With a prize pool of € 1 million, #myEUspace competition – part of the European Commission Cassini initiative – focuses on EU space data and services and how services’ integration and data fusion will bring to life (and to market) disruptive, space-based commercial solutions able to respond to emerging societal needs and serve various domains ranging from smart mobility and agriculture, to sustainable production and consumption, smart cities, health and leisure, among others. Innovators from across all disciplines and markets are invited to harness the power of the EU Space Programme services and data to roll-out solutions that stretch from mobile to hardware-based applications such as wearables, asset management tracking solutions, drones, robotics and more.
‘’Over the past years, EUSPA has created a powerful ecosystem of space start-ups and SMEs that yielded trailblazing ideas such as autonomous lane marking solutions or atmosphere monitoring applications with drones, most of which are now scaling up operations’’ says EUSPA Executive Director, Rodrigo da Costa. ‘with initiatives such as the #myEUspace competition, we are supporting space entrepreneurship and contributing to the Union’s digitization efforts and the delivery of the ambitious European Green Deal’’, concludes da Costa.
#myEUspace is open for business
With over 2 billion Galileo-enabled smartphones and an increasingly fast paced uptake of space technology among other devices (wearables, drones, IoT and robotics to mention a few), no market segment and application can afford to miss integrating space data and services into their next generation of products and services.
“EUSPA’s MyGalileoSolution competition has given our product a significant boost and helped us open new doors. Contests like these are perfect for emerging startups. Participating in and winning MyGalileoSolution gave our solution more visibility, expert support and financial means to scale up. Our product is a 10Lines autonomous parking lot marking robot, and GNSS positioning is critical for us. We encourage all EU startups to seize this opportunity and take their business to the next level,” said Janno Paas, CTO of 10Lines and member of the winning team of the 2020 MyGalileoSolution competition Track 2.
With over 50 awards, #myEUSpace consists of two independent and parallel tracks, each one with a list of goals and deliverables.
- Track 1 – From Idea to Prototype/customer validation – aims to turn a theoretical idea into a product prototype/beta version.
- Track 2 – From Prototype to Product /Market entry – aims to develop a prototype or beta idea into a Minimum Viable Product (MVP).
Six thematic areas
The Competition looks at solutions where the use and integration of EU Space data and services can disrupt the following six thematic areas:
- Move Me Smart: Smart mobility solutions across all transportation modes to improve efficiency and sustainability and increase safety.
- Space Up My Life: Consumer solutions such as mobile applications and any other solution using space data for health, gaming, sports, leisure, tourism and everyday life.
- Our Green Planet: Innovative solutions addressing environmental challenges, sustainable life, consumption and production.
- Map My World: Innovative surveying solutions to shape the future of geomatics, rural planning and smart cities by design.
- Farming by Satellite: Technological solutions to manage the variability of agricultural production, improve crop yield, reduce environmental impact and optimize the food chain.
- Dive in Quantum: Innovative solutions applying quantum technologies (computing, sensing, simulation, encryption etc.) enhancing space downstream applications.
How to win
Aspiring startuppers, serial innovators, seasoned entrepreneurs can apply here, by 15th November 2021 (23:59 CET). The ideas will be assessed towards their EU-space relevance, their innovative approach, their market potential, their feasibility within the limits of current technology and finally, their operational organization. The competition foresees various prizes and awards at different stages of the competition.
To register or for more information, check out the competition page on the EUSPA website.